Sunday, October 28, 2007

"If you are pleased with me--"

When I was about 35, I came to the unwelcome realization that I would always have problems and struggles. To that point, I spent much of my life trying to get to reach a place where there would be no struggles. (I think that would be called Heaven). In past days I have been thinking on this theme.

God had called Moses to lead Israel and had told him to lead Israel and said, "You have found favor in my eyes." Then Moses returned to the Israelite camp to find the people worshipping a golden calf, Moses said to God, "If you are pleased with me--" I stopped when I read that and thought, "How would I finish this sentence? In my heart I knew I would have negotiated with God. But Moses' request demonstrates his understanding of God's sovereignty. He says, "If you are pleased with me, teach me your ways, so I may know you and continue to find favor with you" Exodus 33:13.

I wondered, "What do I really know that I know about God's ways?" Not enough, because my natural inclination is to manage, not surrender. This morning I read this quote by Samuel Rutheford, a Scottish minister in the 1600's:

"Come all crosses, welcome, welcome! so I may get my heart full of my Lord Jesus."
--Samuel Rutheford (1660-1661)

Is there anyone out there who isn't struggling?

5 comments:

Robert Conn said...

Often I think people (me) assume that if we only had this or that we'd be ok. Or if I only did not have to deal with this I'd be fine. You know though, even if we had all the money, perfect health, stress-free life, and even counted it all as blessing we'd still live in a tension of being new creatures that have been created to live in a different world.

I do think we will always struggle! Maybe not fiancially or all those other obvious struggles, but at least we will always deal with the fact that God has made us into something this world neither recognizes nor makes accomodations for.

Am I'm really ok with that.

mimi said...

It makes me smile to see young adults talking like this, Robert. You will pass this on to your children and they won't have to wonder first if they are crazy. You'll just say, "No dear, it's normal."

Anonymous said...

I struggle. And I am not okay. I told four kids in our youth group last night that if I was the youth minister, and I had been up there talking to them, and they had acted the way they acted, that I would go home and smoke filterless cigarettes and drink whiskey. Probably not the right thing to say. Yes, I struggle.

mimi said...

Well, I can't wait for the feedback.

Anonymous said...

They haven't excommunicated me, yet, so we will see...